I love my romantic walks inside bookstores that are spacious, especially the ones that make room for me to sit while I browse through various books… Reading, discarding, keeping, short listing, and ultimately picking them up, to accompany me on my walk back home.
It’s love. True, pure, warm, love. No seriously, books are the best lovers you can ever have. And yes I am old school when it comes to brick and mortar stores for books! I prefer to feel the pages in the books over scrolling through eBooks, and I am proudly not a Kindle girl so far!
So this weekend when I walked into my favourite Landmark store in Ambience Mall, New Delhi, I was delighted to step into the world of dreams, and SALE. A massive SALE, at that.
Landmark is offering unbeatable number of books at discounts as outrageous as 3 books for the price of 2, on almost all books! Usually this sale is always restricted to a selection of books but this time to my surprise everything seems to be on sale, like never before.
This has to be one of the most genuine sales that Landmark has come up with. Like all good things must come to an end this sale too will come to an end, at the end of this month of January!
The title pairings that I chose to pick for myself, and those that offered unmatched discounts are listed below, I also went an extra step forward to compare the prices offered by Landmark to the quotes on Flipkart.
TBOR RECOMMENDS #1
- Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi is priced at Rs. 599 (Goodreads rating 3.30)
- Lord of the flies by William Golding is priced at Rs. 599 (Goodreads rating 3.60)
- Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is priced at Rs. 599 (Goodreads rating 4.24)
So the total amount one pays for this combination of books at Landmark is Rs. 1198 (i.e. the price of 2 books while you get to take home 3 books)
Flipkart pricing for the respective books (as on January 7, 2015) were Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi at Rs. 643, Lord of the flies by William Golding at Rs. 449, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Rs. 359 totalling Rs.1451
TBOR RECOMMENDS #2
- Jacob’s room by Virginia Woolf labelled at Rs. 499 (Goodreads rating 3.53)
- My name is red by Orhan Pamuk priced at Rs. 499 (Goodreads rating 3.97)
- Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami labelled at Rs. 499 (Goodreads rating 4.12)
This combination can be purchased at Landmark for Rs. 998 and same combination will cost you Rs. 1162, on Flipkart, break up being Jacob’s room by Virginia Woolf for Rs. 439, My name is red by Orhan Pamuk for Rs. 374 and Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami for Rs. 349.
TBOR RECOMMENDS #3
- The age of magic by Ben Okri will cost Rs. 399 (Goodreads rating 3.44)
- Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand will cost Rs.399 (Goodreads rating 3.66)
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller will cost Rs. 399 (Goodreads rating 3.97)
Price you will pay for this combination at Landmark after availing the offer of 3 for 2 is Rs. 798
As compared with Flipkart where you will pay Rs. 890, because The age of magic by Ben Okri is priced at Rs. 299, Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand is priced at Rs. 336, and lastly, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller will cost Rs. 255.
TBOR RECOMMENDS #4
- The glass palace by Amitav Ghosh priced at Rs. 350 (Goodreads rating 3.91)
- Orlando by Virginia Woolf priced at Rs. 350 (Goodreads rating 3.84)
- French lover by Taslima Nasreen priced at Rs. 350 (Goodreads rating 2.98)
All these will total to Rs. 700 at Landmark, contrasted to Rs. 830 at Flipkart, as it charges The glass palace by Amitav Ghosh for Rs. 245, Orlando by Virginia Woolf for Rs. 322, French lover by Taslima Nasreen for Rs. 263
I also suggest you to look up the following combinations which are just marginally higher at Landmark compared to Flipkart. But I think, Landmark’s free gift wrapping of my purchased books more than compensates for it, and oh I love the loyalty points I keep earning on my loyalty card purchase after purchase to be encashed on my next purchase!
Since I had to complete my Harry Potter series for my personal mini library back home, the following purchase seemed wise
- Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince by J.K. Rowling priced at 699/- (Goodreads rating 4.49)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling priced at Rs. 699/-(Goodreads rating 4.42)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling priced at Rs. 699/-(Goodreads rating 4.57)
Applying offer, it cost me Rs. 1398 and gave me happiness worth countless times that amount!
On Flipkart it would have cost me innumerable business days, delayed gratification and by all means Rs. 447 for each of these books totalling to Rs. 1341.
Another combination that caught my eye and piqued my interest was
- Bring up the bodies by Hilary Mantel priced at Rs. 399, (Goodreads rating 4.25)
- A girl is a half formed thing by Eimear McBride priced at Rs.399 (Goodreads rating 3.53)
- The time traveller’s wife by Audrey Niffenegger priced at Rs. 399 (Goodreads rating 3.92)
All this for Rs. 798 at Landmark and Rs. 783 at Flipkart (Bring up the bodies by Hilary Mantel at Rs.250, A girl is a half formed thing by Eimear McBridge priced Rs. 254, The time traveller’s wife by Audrey Niffenegger for Rs. 279)!
If you are a comic lover then this 3 for 2 offer applies on various comics such as The Adventures of Tin Tin and Asterix and Obelix too!
I have laid down the possible choices for you to make the best out of this sale! But it goes without saying, if I were to make individual book purchases, I would buy from Flipkart, because then it comes out to be cheaper.
Decide on what book note, I mean, good note you want to begin your year with! Don’t wait, go figure and read till you drop!
Your shopaholic faffer,